The Nordic Museum was originally housed in a structure built in 1907 and leased from the Seattle School District.
Museum leaders long recognized the need for a new purpose-built facility that would allow the organization to realize its potential as a modern museum and thriving community center. This new facility will not only enhance the Museum's programmatic offerings, but also ensure its future.
In 2009, with the help of gracious donors, the Museum completed the purchase of the future building site on Market Street between 26th Ave NW and 28th Ave NW in Seattle's Ballard neighborhood. Then, in June 2012, the Board approved the current $45 million Museum plans outlined here.